Download MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) 1st Year (First Year) 2013 Nov 524056 Biochemistry II Previous Question Paper
Sub. Code : 4056
FIRST M.B.B.S. DEGREE EXAMINATION
PAPER VI ? BIOCHEMISTRY - II
Q. P. Code : 524056
Time : Three hours Maximum: 50 Marks
Answer ALL questions.
Draw Suitable diagrams wherever necessary
I. Elaborate on:
(2 x 7.5 = 15)
1. List the parameters that are commonly used in clinical practice as indicators to assess
the functions of the liver. Explain the basis of the use of these parameters in assessment
of liver function. Briefly discuss medical conditions in which these parameters become
2. Describe the role of the kidney to maintain the pH of blood. What are the
compensatory mechanisms the kidney will adopt to maintain pH in the presence of
II. Write notes on : (10 x 2.5 = 25)
1. Denaturation of proteins.
2. Types of mutations.
3. Post-transcriptional modifications of RNA.
4. Restriction endonucleases and their uses.
5. Specialized products derived from tyrosine.
6. Principle and applications of electrophoresis.
7. Cell cycle.
8. Causes and clinical features of dehydration.
9. Consequences of hyperuricemia.
10. Structure of DNA.
III. Short answers on : (10 x 1 = 10)
1. What is multiple myeloma? What is a laboratory test that can be used to confirm
diagnosis of this condition?
2. List 4 functions of nucleotides.
3. Which amino acid gives rise to nitric oxide in the body? What is the enzyme that
catalyzes this process?
4. What is the biochemical basis of the encephalopathy that can develop in patients who
have liver cirrhosis?
5. List the biochemical abnormalities seen in phenylketonuria.
6. Give examples of 4 conjugating agents in the body that are involved in metabolism of
7. What is the role of gamma-amino butyric acid in the body? Name the amino acid from
which it is derived.
8. What is the principle of a radioimmuno assay (RIA)?
9. List the different types of immunoglobulins.
10. List 4 causes of respiratory acidosis.
This post was last modified on 18 June 2021