Download A Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) 1st Year (First Year) 2023 November 526055 Biochemistry Paper I Previous Question Paper || MGR MBBS 2023 nov 1st Year question papers
[MBBS 1123] NOVEMBER 2023 Sub. Code : 6055
M.B.B.S. DEGREE EXAMINATION
(For the candidates admitted from the Academic Year 2019-2020)
FIRST YEAR ? (CBME)
PAPER I ? BIOCHEMISTRY
Q.P. Code: 526055
Time: Three hours
Maximum : 100 Marks (80 Theory + 20MCQs)
Answer All Questions
(2 x 15 = 30)
1. A 26 year old female presented with history of anorexia, constipation, fatigue,
poor memory, irritability, sleep disturbance; bilateral, symmetrical lower
extremities paraethesia with burning pain and muscle cramps. On examination
there was decreased vibratory position sensation, absent knee and ankle jerk and
muscle atrophy. Her diet consisted of polished rice without pulses, oil seeds etc.
The enzyme transketolase level in erythrocytes was low.
a) What is your probable diagnosis?
b) Mention the cause for this condition.
c) Name the sources and required daily allowance (RDA) of the deficient nutrient.
d) Why erythrocyte transketolase level was measured in this condition?
e) List out the enzymes dependent on this nutrient.
f) Explain the biochemical basis of the clinical features in this patient.
g) Note on management of this condition.
2. Explain in detail about degradation of heme and fate of bilirubin. Write down the
causes of hyperbilirubinaemia and the lab investigations in differential diagnosis
of jaundice. Write a note on jaundice in newborn.
II. Write short notes on:
(10 x 5 = 50)
1. What are mucopolysaccharides? Name the mucopolysaccharide present in the
glomerular basement membrane and its clinical importance. Mention the two
mucopolysaccharides which are elevated in Hurler's syndrome? Which
mucopolysaccharide maintains the transparency of cornea?
2. Biochemical functions of Vitamin C.
3. What is calorific value? Calculate the energy requirement of a 50 year old
4. Explain the effect of temperature and substrate concentration on enzyme activity
with a graph.
5. Write briefly about diseases caused due to abnormalities of membrane proteins ?
a) Cystic fibrosis.
b) Wilson's disease.
c) Hereditary spherocytosis.
6. Discuss about importance of Communication skills in Doctor - Patient encounters.
... 2 ...
... 2 ...
7. Deficiency of lung surfactant causes Respiratory Distress Syndrome.
a) What is the composition of lung surfactant?
b) What is the biochemical basis for Respiratory distress syndrome?
c) What is the significance of L/S ratio?
8. Pyruvate kinase deficiency and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency
cause hemolytic anemia ? Give reasons.
9. Give reasons for hypercholesterolemia in the following conditions:
b) Diabetes mellitus.
c) Obstructive jaundice.
d) Nephritic syndrome.
e) Familial hypercholesterolemia.
10. A 12 year old girl presented with stiffness and tingling of hands and feet,
carpopedal spasm. On examination Trousseau's sign was positive, Chvostek's sign
was positive. On laboratory evaluation, serum calcium was significantly reduce
a) Interpret the findings and suggest the probable diagnosis.
b) Mention the reference range and dietary sources of the nutrient.
c) Explain the role of hormones in regulating-the blood levels of this nutrient.
This post was last modified on 18 November 2023