Download MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) 1st Year (First Year) 526055 Biochemistry Paper I Mcqs 2023 January Previous Question Paper | MBBS
[MBBS 0123] JANUARY 2023 Sub. Code : 6055
M.B.B.S. DEGREE EXAMITION
(For the candidates admitted from the Academic Year 2019-2020)
FIRST YEAR ? (CBME)
PAPER I ? BIOCHEMISTRY
Q.P. Code: 526055
Time: 30 Minutes
Maximum : 20 Marks
Answer All Questions
Choose one correct answer in the box provided in the Answer Script.
No overwriting should be done. Choice should be given in Capital Letters.
III. Multiple Choice Questions:
(20 x 1 = 20)
1. Two sugars which differ from one another only in configuration around a single carbon
atom are termed
A) Anomers B) Epimers C) Optical isomers D) Stereoisomers
2. A 25 year old man presents with diarrhea, bloating, flatulence and frothy stools after
consumption of milk and dairy products. Mention the enzyme deficient in this individual
A) Galactose-1-phosphate uridyl transferase B) Fructokise
C) Aldolase B D) Lactase
3. All of the following are branched except
A) Amylopectin B) Starch C) Amylose D) Glycogen
4. Which of the following is not a lipid?
A) Glycerol B) Palmitic acid C) Triacylglycerol D) Cholesterol
5. An infant, born at 28 weeks of gestation, rapidly gave evidence of respiratory distress.
Lab and x-ray results supported the diagnosis of infant respiratory distress syndrome
(RDS). Which of the following compound is the lung surfactant?
A) Dipalmitoyl Phosphatidyl Choline B) Phosphatidyl serine
C) Phosphatidyl ethanolamine D) Phosphatidyl inositol
6. Which type of fatty acid is arachidonic acid?
A) 20:6 B) 20:3 C) 18:6 D) 22:3
7. A postoperative patient on intravenous fluids develops lesions in the mouth (angular
stomatitis). His Riboflavin level is found to be abnormally low. Which of the following
TCA cycle enzymes is most likely to be affected?
A) Citrate synthase B) Isocitrate dehydrogese
C) Malate dehydrogese D) Succite dehydrogese
8. Chylomicron transports triacylglycerol from intestine to:
A) Liver B) Kidney C) Extrahepatic tissues D) Brain
9. The apoprotein present in scent chylomicron is:
A) apo B100 B) apo B48 C) apo CII D) apo E
10. Coenzymes of PDH complex are all except:
A) TPP B) Biotin C) FAD D) D
... 2 ...
... 2 ...
11. All the following causes shift of oxyhemoglobin dissociation curve to right except
A) Alkalosis B) 2, 3 BPG C) Hypoxia D) Anemia
12. A newborn is found to have fasting hypoglycemia. The nursery staff begins overnight
feeds by sogastric tube because they find that the child has consistently low blood
sugars. A liver biopsy and molecular studies demonstrate an absence of glycogen
synthase. The normal function of this enzyme is to do which of the following?
A) Remove glucose residues one at a time from glycogen in the live
B) Transfer glucose from UDP-glucose to the non-reducing end of a glycogen
C) Hydrolyze --1, 6 bonds of glycogen.
D) Function as a glucosyl 4:6 transferase.
13. Propionic acid accumulation from amino acid degradation will result from a deficiency of
which one of the following vitamins?
A) Vitamin B6 B) Biotin C) Folic acid D) Vitamin B1
14. The storage form of vitamin A in mammals is
A) Retinyl esters B) Retinoic acid C) Retil D) Beta carotene
15. A muscular 25-year-old man presents with dermatitis and an inflamed tongue. A history
reveals that he has been consuming raw eggs as part of his training regimen for the past 6
months. Which of the following vitamins is most likely to be deficient in this patient?
A) Biotin B) Cobalamin (vitamin B12)
C) Folic acid D) Niacin (vitamin B3)
16. Which one of the following is characteristic of low insulin levels?
A) Increased glycogen synthesis
B) Decreased gluconeogenesis from lactate
C) Decreased glycogenolysis.
D) Increased formation of Beta-hydroxybutyrate
17. A deficiency in thiamine (vitamin B1) would most likely lead to which of the following
A) Decrease in carboxylase enzyme activity
B) Decrease in serum lactate concentrations
C) Decrease in red blood cell transketolase activity
D) Increase in uriry methylmalote
18. The genetic disease which results from a mutation in the gene coding for the
enzyme -hexosaminidase A is called:
A) Huntington disease B) Lesch-Nyhan syndrome
C) Tay-Sachs disease D) Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
19. A patient with hereditary type 1 hyperlipidemia presents with elevated levels of
chylomicrons and VLDL triglycerides in the bloo The main function of the
chylomicrons in circulation is to do which of the following?
A) Transport lipids from the liver
B) Transport dietary lipids from the intestine to target tissues
C) Transport cholesterol from IDL to LDL
D) Act as a receptor for triacylglycerols in the liver
20. You decide to treat a patient who has very high levels of serum cholesterol with the statin
drug atorvastatin. You know that this drug acts in the metabolic pathway leading to the
synthesis of cholesterol. The substrate for the enzyme inhibited by the statin drugs is
which of the following?
A) Acetoacetyl-CoA B) HMG-CoA
C) Isopentenyl pyrophosphate D) Mevalote.
This post was last modified on 20 February 2023